Thursday, April 3, 2008

Luby's Love.


Okay, so I have a bit of a confession to make. My family has been to Luby's the last two Wednesday nights. I secretly like going to the cafeteria. I think I like it because it has ties to my childhood when we would meet my Grandparents there for lunch many Sundays after church. The crazy thing is I still recognize some of the employees. The cool part is that on Wednesday nights kids eat for free, so it makes it a great option to eat out and still get some veggies in your kids.


Last night as we walked in I instantly saw a new friend and ministry partner, Matthew Myers. Matthew owns a company called Giant Partners, which recently purchased Catalyst, etc. (www.CatalystSpace.com). Matthew was there will his lovely wife, Kim and their two delightful children, Tess and Jesse. Matthew invited us to join them for dinner. So they stepped out of their place in line and joined us at the back of the line so that we could share dinner together. I was taken aback by their willingness to engage my little family with such kindness. You never know what you're going to get when you invite a family with a 1.5 year old and 5 year old to join your for dinner. You just might end up mashed potatoes in your lap, etc. But nonetheless, they braved the elements and made the invite. It was a gesture that will not soon be forgotten.


As we sat down to enjoy our meal. I realized that Matthew and his family have been coming to Luby's on Wednesday nights for some time. And each time they come, they always invite someone in line to join their family for dinner. Most of the time it is a elderly single person. You see Luby's is one of those happy and sad kinds of places. You have families dining together. You have a diverse racial mix. But you also have little old men and women eating alone. And I am proud to have a friend like Matthew Myers who is not afraid to give a little Luby's Love!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That is way too cool - about Matthew and his family anyway...as for Luby's, maybe I'd feel different now as an adult, but growing up, my brother and I would groan every Sunday when my parents decided we should go there for lunch after church again...and again...and again..and, well you get the picture! :)

Esther said...

I love this post! It made me smile :D haha, thanks for sharing your confession!