Monday, June 9, 2008

Theirs Is The Kingdom.

I wanted to share with you a new book (to me) that a couple of friends recommended by Robert Lupton entitled, "Theirs Is The Kingdom - Celebrating The Gospel In Urban America". I first heard of Robert Lupton in conjunction with Community Christian Development Association (www.ccda.org).
I plan to share some excerpts from the book over the next several weeks.
Consider this:

"My wife and I saw the city as a mission field and ourselves as missionaries carrying the light of the gospel into the darkness of the ghetto. How surprised we were when we discovered that the One who had called us already preceded us. Those to whom we came to share our faith frequently had more faith than we did.
So it was that God's children who suffer most from crushing poverty became the very ones God used to speak to us of our own spiritual poverty. From those who had very few material possessions, we learned about our bondage to things. And from those who had much to fear and little to hope, we learned courage and faith."

No comments: