Friday, September 7, 2007

Birthday Parties For Prostitutes.

I want to share a story with you this morning. It comes from an excerpt that was read from The Secret Message of Jesus at last week's Gathering. It says so much. It resonates well.

My friend Tony was in another time zone and couldn't sleep, so well after midnight he wandered down to a doughnut shop where, it turned out, local hookers also came at the end of a night of turning tricks. There, he overheard a conversation between two of them. One, named Agnes, said, "You know what? Tomorrow's my birthday. I'm gonna be thirty-nine." Her friend snapped back, "So what d'ya want from me? A birthday party? Huh? You want me to get a cake and sing happy birthday to you?" The first woman replied, "Aw, come on, why do you have to be so mean? Why do you have to put me down? I'm just sayin' it's my birthday. I don't want anything from you. I mean, why should I have a birthday party? I've never had a birthday party in my whole life. Why should I have one now?"

When they left, Tony got an idea. He asked the shop owner if Agnes came in every night, and when he replied in the affirmative, Tony invited him into a surprise party conspiracy. The shop owner's wife even got involved. Together they arranged for a cake, candles, and typical party decorations for Agnes, who was, to Tony, a complete stranger. The next night when she came in, they shouted, "Surprise!" - and Agnes couldn't believe her eyes. The doughnut shop patrons sang, and she began to cry so hard she could barely blow out the candles. When the time came to cut the cake, she asked if they'd mind if she didn't cut it, if she could bring it home - just to keep it for a while and savor the moment. So she left, carrying her cake like a treasure.

Tony led the guests in a prayer for Agnes, after which the shop owner told Tony he didn't realize Tony was a preacher. He asked what kind of church Tony came from, and Tony replied, "I belong to a church that throws birthday parties for prostitutes at 3:30 in the morning." The shop owner couldn't believe him. "No you don't. There ain't no church like that. If there was, I'd join it. Yep, I'd join a church like that." Sadly, there are too few churches like that, but if more of us understand the secret message of Jesus, there will be lots more.

I want to be this kind of church in Oklahoma City, regardless!

4 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

that is a fantastic story!!!!!!!

Ben Nockels said...

David - hey good to hear from you and glad to know you're sharing bits and pieces of our journey. Let us know what your up to, about your faith community, etc. We want to share your journey as well. Feel free to jump into a KAMP's Gathering sometime on a Sunday evening.

Later.
Ben.

Larry Boatright said...

Great Post... glad I stumbled upon it (through David M's blog).

I know someone who is attending your community... hearing good things...
Blessings!
Larry Boatright
(A pastor formerly from OKC)

Ben Nockels said...

Hey Larry.

Thanks for the contribution. I will definitely be checking out your church and blogs. Who do you know that is participating with us? Love to make the connect on this end.

Take Care.
Ben.