Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What Is Success?

I recently had the thought that goes a little something like this...

What if "successful" is not really success at all? What if we've been playing with the wrong scorecard? The wrong set of rules?

At MH we are committed to measure success by stories of transformation. Here are a couple comments I received this week from those participating in the journey.

"Just wanted to say we really enjoyed Mars Hill this last Sunday. We're both really drawn to the mission and ideas about being the church/followers of Jesus, instead of just going to church. Thanks for all you (that's you too) do!"

"Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that your message last week had a huge impact on my friend. She has gone through a big unexpected life stress and she has picked up the phrase "unforced rhythms of grace" (see Matthew 11:25-30 in the Message) as her motto. I know it is God's awesome compassion and love that prodded her to come on Sunday. I appreciate the sacred space that Mars Hill creates that allows for grief and celebration. Have a super great week!"

We'd love to hear bits and pieces of your story - your journey!

4 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

Thanks for this post. I am not a big fan of the Message bible. (stay with me here.)

I think paraphrases are ok as long as they realize there are things in the text that have no basis in the original languages. IOW, pure addition. Not God's Word.

Any time I illustrate this with someone I always use the "unforced rhythms of grace" example. I hate that phrase because there is no merit for it in the original. It's purely poetic.

Your comment about the person who has claimed that as their motto is interesting. On one hand I want to scream, "But it's not the Word of God. Pick something else!"

On the other hand I would say, "Take it and run with it. God knows what you mean."

Thanks for the reminder.

Ben Nockels said...

Eugene Peterson is a wonderful pastor, scholar and leader. I will soon begin "Contemplative Pastor". Check out a wonderful interview w/ him from the Catalyst Podcast.

http://www.catalystspace.com/content/podcast/download.aspx

Here are some thoughts on The Message from Wikipedia, including a quote by Peterson on The Message.

Peterson is probably best known for The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language, which was written to try to make the original meaning of the Bible more understandable and accessible to the modern reader. The translation has received criticism by some for being too much of a paraphrase, thus making the final product too far removed from the original Greek and Hebrew. Others defend Peterson's work; it was not meant to be a literal word-for-word translation but rather a rewording of the text in modern language with the meaning and teaching of the original texts still intact. Peterson explains:

When Paul of Tarsus wrote a letter, the people who received it understood it instantly, When the prophet Isaiah preached a sermon, I can't imagine that people went to the library to figure it out. That was the basic premise under which I worked. I began with the New Testament in the Greek --- a rough and jagged language, not so grammatically clean. I just typed out a page the way I thought it would have sounded to the Galatians.[1]

david b mclaughlin said...

i fully understand the value and purpose of a paraphrase, and as far as paraphrases go his is fine. they are just not my cup of tea.

i cant picture Paul talking about the unforced rhythms of grace. he wasnt that poetic.

But solomon was so i can live with it. just not my favorite.

Ben Nockels said...

David.

Thanks for the dialogue and exchange on the Message. It's good and fun to give and take together.

Ben.